Osteochondrosis of the spine is a disease in which the structure and function of the intervertebral discs and cartilage are disrupted. It is accompanied by regular painful sensations, as the affected tissues must provide mobility and flexibility of the spine. According to ICD 10 belongs to the group of diseases of the musculoskeletal system, code - M42. The essence of the disease lies in the compression of the discs during the load on the spine, which leads to their destruction or deformation. This leads to damage to the nerve endings, leading to pain and swelling. A neglected form of spinal osteochondrosis can lead to disability.
Reasons for the development of osteochondrosis of the spine
What is this disease and where does it come from? Most often this disease occurs in people after 40 years. This is due to age-related disorders of salt metabolism and dehydration. Factors that provoke the development of the disease:
- stooping, which leads to curvature of the spine;
- underdeveloped spinal muscles;
- staying in an awkward position for a long period of time;
- regular carrying of heavy objects;
- sedentary lifestyle related to the specifics of work;
- metabolic disorders in the body;
- genetic predisposition;
- the negative effects of chemicals on the body;
- transmitted infectious diseases;
- nervous tension, stress with neurological manifestations;
- hormonal disorders in the body;
- professional sports related to strength training;
- spinal cord injury;
- a sharp change in position.
It is important to know!Adverse climatic conditions, periodic hypothermia can contribute to the development of the disease! Therefore, you need to protect yourself as much as possible from these factors.
Common symptoms of the disease
Osteochondrosis is always accompanied by pain and tingling. Such diseases can also occur:
- sharp, cutting, shooting pain;
- limb pain;
- dizziness, sometimes loss of consciousness;
- dryness and exfoliation of the skin;
- heavy sweating;
- low temperature of the limbs.
Depending on which part of the spine the disease develops, other specific symptoms appear.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine: signs
This is the most dangerous place to be defeated. After all, it is in the cervical region that an artery passes, which contributes to the normal functioning of the brain. Due to the onset of the disease, this artery is compressed and prevents the blood supply to the brain. Therefore, the patient experiences severe headache, dizziness, general weakness of the body. Concentration decreases, the ability to remember deteriorates.
Accompanied by pain in the back of the neck, under the shoulders, in the forearm, sometimes tingling in the upper extremities.
This type of disease is quite rare, most often along with damage to other parts of the spine. It may be accompanied by such diseases:
- pain between the shoulder blades;
- acute pain with deep breathing;
- weakness and numbness of the fingers.
There are situations in which chest disease can cause discomfort in the heart area.
Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine
The most common type of disease, as the lower back takes the maximum load throughout a person's life. May cause osteochondrosis of the spine with radicular syndrome. This disease is characterized by pinching of the nerve roots in the lumbar region, accompanied by various pains and can radiate to the thigh and buttocks.
During the period of development, the normal functioning of the lower extremities is disrupted and is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- tingling sensation in the back of the leg;
- weakness of the lower limbs;
- numbness of the toes.
Disorders of the genitourinary system and intestinal function may also occur.
It is important to remember!At the first symptoms you should seek help from a specialist! Eventually, an advanced form of the disease in a particular department may develop polysegmental osteochondrosis of the spine, which consists in the defeat of all departments at once.
Stages of osteochondrosis of the spine
In modern medicine there are 4 stages of the disease:
- Degree of osteochondrosis of the spine. At this stage, the disease is difficult to detect. There are no obvious signs. There are only common diseases, mild weakness in the back with uncomfortable sensations, which are attributed to fatigue. The disease is slow, usually detected randomly during a routine examination.
- Osteochondrosis of the spine 2nd degree. Symptoms of pain appear due to the initial process of tissue destruction. If you turn to specialists for help in time, then this stage of the disease can be cured quickly enough thanks to medication.
- Osteochondrosis of the spine 3rd degree. An irreversible process of deformation of the cartilage tissues begins, which is the reason for the development of scoliosis, lordosis and the appearance of a hump. Treatment at this stage will improve the condition and minimize curvature.
- Osteochondrosis of the spine 4th degree. At this last stage, a person experiences irreversible processes of destruction of the tissues of the spine. It becomes very difficult for the patient to move, this brings him unbearable pain.
It is important to know!Stage 4 of the disease leads the patient to disability! Therefore, at the first signs it is necessary to consult a doctor and start timely treatment.
Diagnosis of the disease
Complaints from the patient require contact with a specialist. To make a diagnosis, you need to make an appointment with a neurologist or traumatologist, who after a detailed examination and examination will send you to undergo such tests:
- Magnetic resonance;
- general analysis of blood and urine.
Based on the tests performed, the doctor makes a conclusion and prescribes effective treatment depending on the stage of the disease.
Treatment of osteochondrosis of the spine
There are many ways you can influence the course of the disease. They are aimed not only at relieving discomfort, but also at complete recovery. The most effective treatments are:
They are aimed at relieving painful sensations, relieving inflammatory processes, restoring cartilage and preventing the dynamic development of the disease. Vitamin intake during this period is very important.
The therapeutic effect does not appear immediately, so a course is prescribed, which lasts about 2 months.
Their use is aimed at eliminating the pain syndrome, the injection has no therapeutic effect.
The use of various ointments, creams or gels helps to get rid of inflammation. In addition, they have analgesic and warming effect.
For such procedures, the patient is referred to a chiropractor. In the end, only an experienced specialist is able to perform this manipulation. Acupuncture helps relieve even unbearable excruciating pain, has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, normalizes hormones.
Massage with cups
The essence of the procedure is to apply a vacuum on the skin, which helps to restore blood flow, eliminate toxins and improve the condition of the body as a whole. Effectively relieves painful sensations. This type of massage cannot be done on the spine, mammary glands, heart and kidneys. Contraindications to the use of this procedure: patients with skin rashes, heart disease and pregnancy.
- Magnetic therapy. It is used as an additional method in the treatment of osteochondrosis. Helps to weaken the inflammatory process, relieves puffiness, tones the back muscles.
- Physiotherapy. It is aimed at restoring the mobility of the spine, strengthening the muscles of the back and normalizing metabolism. It is very important not to overload yourself while training.
- Massage. Needed to relieve pain and strengthen muscles.
It is important to remember!Regardless of the stage of osteochondrosis, only a specialist prescribes treatment methods! He can choose either one method or a complex treatment.
Treatment with folk remedies
To fight the disease, you can use recipes from traditional medicine, which are easily prepared at home. Only natural ingredients are used for this.
To prepare the drug, you will need 200 g of chopped garlic, which should be poured with 0, 5 liters of vodka or alcohol. Leave in a cool, dark place for 1 week, shaking daily. After a while, use as a rub on the back. Helps relieve pain.
Bay leaf and juniper
You need to take 1 teaspoon of the original ingredients, grind to a powder. Grind with softened unsalted oil in an amount of 100 g. Apply the ointment to the affected areas 3 times a day.
It will take 1 tbsp. l. wormwood, pour 1 cup boiling water. Insist 3 hours. Strain the resulting broth and rub your back before bed.
It is important to remember!No matter which prescription is chosen for treatment, you should consult your doctor! He may consider using home-made medicines as an adjunct treatment.
Army and spinal osteochondrosis
Are they recruited into the army after such a diagnosis? In order for a young man not to go to serve in the army, the following moments must be present:
- intervertebral osteochondrosis;
- severe, shooting pain during exercise;
- clear signs of spinal deformity;
It is important to know!Painful sensations must be confirmed by regular medical attention! Only in this situation the young man is not fit for military service.
Complications of the disease
Because the spine is the backbone of the musculoskeletal system, osteochondrosis can cause irreparable damage to health. The consequences that the disease can lead to:
- disc herniation;
- vertebral displacement.
This can lead to organ dysfunction, reduced immune system, leading to new serious diseases.
It is important to know!Neglecting osteochondrosis leads to disability! Therefore, when an illness occurs, therapy should be started immediately.
Prevention of osteochondrosis of the spine
To avoid the development of the disease, the following preventive measures should be taken:
- Diet. This is especially true for the elderly. It is necessary to minimize the consumption of spicy, fatty, canned and smoked foods. You should also avoid excessive use of salt, coffee, chocolate, alcoholic beverages. Proper nutrition helps to remove salts from the body.
- Daily morning exercises. Light exercise will help keep the body in good shape and strengthen the muscular system.
- Orthopedic mattress. You should buy it for rest, because healthy sleep and complete relaxation reduce the possibility of developing the disease to a minimum.
Particular attention should be paid to the position in which you want to sleep. The most comfortable position for the spine is the embryo. In this case, he is completely relaxed. It is better to use a small pillow. In this way you can protect your spine from excessive stress and give it the necessary rest.